April 22, 2013

Delight in the Lord and Rejoice in the Interruptions


Life is crazy!  Crazy busy that is!  Doesn’t there just seems like there is always something to do, somewhere to go, and someone to see?   For an extreme extrovert like me, I usually thrive in this kind of environment.  But, for every party we host, for every function we attend and for all the people we visit, a to-do list evolves and tasks begin to intrude upon the time I can spend with my husband and children.  The dishes and laundry do not disappear during the busy seasons of life.  Children still need to be feed, toilets still need to be scrubbed, diapers still need to be changed; groceries still need to be bought.  The little things don’t just go away when you are busy.  Things still need to be done even when you are planning a birthday party or having a yard sale.  The necessities of life will vie for your time even when family is in town visiting, you’re throwing a baby shower, or when you suddenly have a funeral to attend.

The month of April has been this kind of busy season for us.  With that said, I just wanted to take a moment to boast in our loving God who has shown me more grace than I can even begin to describe in the midst of our crazy schedule. I am thankful that even though I’ve had much less sleep then what I think I need, He has ordained circumstances so that I have had some amazingly awesome quiet times.  I have been studying Philippians to prepare for an upcoming bible study and the things the Spirit has been teaching and convicting me of have been so rich.

In addition, I am thankful for the interruptions I’ve had recently.    Yes, you read that correctly, I did say interruptions.  A few months back a dear friend of mine asked for a group of us ladies to pray that she would be willing to be inconvenienced.  Wow, What a great prayer, I thought.    Willing to be inconvenienced.  Hmmm, oh to think on all the times that my heart responds in frustration (anger) when I am interrupted in the middle of a conversation, a project, or let’s be honest even in the middle of a shower. When my plan or even just my comfort is compromised I am so easily tempted to react in a way that dishonors the Lord.  So, all that to say, recently, despite the jammed packed schedule and my endless to-do list I am realizing that I AM thankful for the interruptions I’ve had (most of the time).  Knowing my personality and I can confidently say that this is not of myself, but genuinely a gift from the Lord. 

I am thankful that God is currently giving me the grace to stop writing this blog post to help Addi redress her doll who’s shirt just won’t go back on right.  In the past few days he has given me the wisdom and discernment to stop folding laundry long enough to transform a bed sheet into a parachute, to sword fight with my “pirates” using the wooden spoon I was placing in the drawer from the dishwasher, to march in a parade around our living room, to play in the dirt on a sunny day, to scoop up my kids in my arms and dance to a silly song they’ve made up, to genuinely enjoy in the little things of life and the magnificent blessings God has poured out on me. 

Time goes by much too quickly, especially when we fill it with tons of events and activities.  So, this week no matter what else you have going on, I want to encourage you first to delight in the Lord.  Make time to be in the Word and in prayer.  Secondly, rejoice in the interruptions.  Turn all those little “inconveniences” into memories you will cherish forever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | ewa network review